The Haddon Heights Farmers Market posted on its Facebook page that opening day is 19 days away. The announcement took me surprise. As excited as I am about it just being weeks until I can start planning my meals around what is in season again, it hadn’t occurred to me it would be happening so soon.
A handful of South Jersey’s farmers markets open in May. The bulk of them open in June, and some of the ones down the shore wait until July when the tourist season really gets underway.
Here’s a list of the farmers market opening dates in South Jersey for May 2015.
- Brigantine Farmers Market: Runs Saturdays, May 23 – September 5, 8:30am-noon. A one-time Autumn Market will be on Saturday, October 10 from 8:30am-noon.
- Burlington County Farmers Market – Saturdays, May 16-Oct 31 from 8:30am-1pm. When you’re at the market, make sure to check out the amazing bread baked with local grains at Our Shared Ground, the outdoor bread baking oven on premises. I wrote about the organization for Edible Jersey last year. Also, on May 2 from 10am-1pm, there will be a Gardening Expo on the grounds where the market is usually held.
Cape May County
- Downtown Wildwood Farmers Market: Opens Saturday May 23 and runs through September 5. 8am – 12:30pm.
- Collingswood Farmers Market: America’s Favorite Farmers Market will open Saturday, May 2 and be open every Saturday through the weekend before Thanksgiving. 8am – noon.
- Haddonfield Farmers Market: Opening Saturday, May 16 and open every Saturday through through October 26. 8:30am-1pm.
- Haddon Heights Farmers Market: Opens Sunday, May 3 and runs every Sunday through the fall (unsure of closing date). 10 am-1pm.
- Westmont Farmers Market: The mid-week market returns for its second season on Wed. May 6 and will run through October 29th from 4-7pm.
- Downtown Tom’s River Farmers Market: Opens Wednesday May 20 and runs weekly through November 18, plus a special Thanksgiving market on Monday, November 23. 11am-5pm, May – October; 11am-4pm, November.
If you know of any farmers markets in South Jersey opening in May that I’ve missed, please leave the info in the comments, including a relevant link if available, and I’ll update the post.
For the complete list of farmers markets throughout the state of New Jersey and their opening dates, visit NJ.gov’s Community Farmers Markets page.