I picked up a copy of the new “Edible Jersey Farmers’ Market Cookbook” on Saturday when I was at the Collingswood Farmers Market. This is what Edible Jersey’s website has to say about their first cookbook.
We’ve collected favorite recipes from farmers’ markets throughout New Jersey for this magazine-style cookbook which is destined to become a Jersey Fresh food lover’s treasure!
It includes over 30 delicious seasonal recipes, mouth-watering photography and tips on how to best select and store fresh produce. It also features the Edible Jersey’s 2012 Farmers’ Market Guide and seasonality chart.
In the introduction to the book, Edible Jersey’s editor Nancy Painter says “We hope that the stories and the recipes shared by the farmers’ markets on these pages inspire you to visit New Jersey’s farmers’ markets this season – and to enjoy a true taste of the Garden State.”
If you’re a regular reader of this blog, you probably are already inspired to visit your local farmers market. Hopefully, this cookbook will inspire you to also buy an ingredient or two that you don’t normally purchase and add a few new recipes to your summer repertoire. Speaking of the recipes, here are the top 5 from the book that I can’t wait to get in the kitchen and prepare.
- Chilled Sweet Corn Soup with Basil Oil and Crisp Bacon from Long Valley Green Market.
- Green Pesto Quinoa Salad form Metuchen Farmers’ Market
- Bruschetta Terre Alte (with tomatoes, corn and scallion) from Highland Park Farmers’ Market
- Summer Squash Fritter with Roasted Pepper Pesto from Sparta Farmers’ Market
- Pumpkin Dip from Medford Lakes Farmers’ Market (now closed)
The “Edible Jersey Farmers’ Market Cookbook” is available at select farmers markets and stores around the state or from Edible Jersey’s website. If you order from the website it’s $7.99, plus tax (shipping is included).